Wednesday, October 14, 2015

HOW TO TAKE YOURSELF TO THE TOP


Got a call from an old friend Floyd Wickman last week, and of course, had to ask, “While I have you on the phone, can I interview you for next week’s column?”  He graciously agreed and shared some terrific insights for agents eager to take themselves to the top of their game—and stay there!  Thanks Floyd!
Q:  Floyd, it’s great to see our industry come surging back.  Some agents are jetting all the way to the top in this market.   What do you think are the top common denominators of top producers? 
A:  It is terrific to see the resurgence isn’t it?  I guess if I had to say what I see as some of the top traits of the superstars are I’d say I think it first starts with a healthy respect for establishing balance between business and personal.  So many transactions these day come with lots of drama and stress, and the agents that have found the ways to stay focused and balanced are the ones who will successfully navigate their career path long term and avoid burnout.
Next, I’d say they are always in skill-building mode.  That hasn’t changed in all these years.  The goal is always to get voice to voice and face to face with people.  Top producers understand that selling involves as much emotion as facts and are always fine-tuning their skills and ability to turn inquiries into a voice to voice or face to face transaction.
Third, I’d say that most have a mentor or coach that they turn to when they want to take themselves to the top of their game – or when they are at the end of their rope and they need someone to help them “tie the knot” and hang on.
Q:  I agree.  You’ve always been a champion for mentoring and integrity partnerships.  Can you expand on that a little more?
A: Sure. Many years ago I wrote a book, MENTORING with Terri Sjodin.  In it we shared our firm believe that having a person in your life that is objective, knowledgeable and understands pain and gain – that you can reach out to is a vital component to taking your career and life to the next level.  As you know Zig Ziglar and others were that for me.  I know for a fact that I would not have had the successes I had or accomplished the things I have if it weren’t for them.  I’m living proof of the value in mentor/protégé relationships.  You know it’s not always your best friend of spouse that will tell you what you need to hear.  A mentor or coach is someone who will be that person to tell it like it is – even when that’s not the easiest thing to hear.
Q:  As we had into the last part of the year, a lot of wise agents are starting to put their plans in place to finish this year strong and hit the next running.  Do you have any wise words to share as they start that process?
A:  You know Julie, every business has a common denominator element of success.  In real estate it’s listings. I would say whatever plan you are putting in place you need to start by answering the question, “How many listing do I need to earn the dollar volume I need to realize my goals?” From there, you can break it down further. To get that many listings, how many appointments to you need?  To get those how many contacts do you need to make? How many people in your sphere?  How many in your farm?  How will you go about reaching those numbers?  Next, I always ask my coaching partners when they set a goal to find their WHY.  Why is that their goal? What’s behind that? What is their real purpose?  Because that underlying purpose is what drives them even more than the goal. Keep digging until you get to your real WHY and that will help fuel your plan – and your success.
Q:  One thing that hasn’t changed in our business is that, to succeed, agents have to be willing to put in the time and overcome the fear of prospecting.  What’s your best advice for that?
A:  I’ve found that joining or creating prospecting groups have been a great way for many agents to successfully commit to prospecting.  When we are left to our own devices sometimes, it’s easy to find the thousand reasons why now is not a good time to prospect right?  But when you have someone to answer to – a group, an integrity partner, or a coach, you’ll do it.  I know for me, with Zig as my coach, there is no way in the world I could live with myself NOT doing what I said I was going to do.  That’s where that coaching relationship can be vital.  You are held accountable for the commitment you make.  And the good coaches will ALWAYS ask for that commitment.  For my coaching members, and every member of my team for every organization I’ve ever been part of a core value has been to “Always do what you say you’re going to do, sometimes more – but NEVER any less.”  That’s powerful.  Integrity counts. So I’d say if prospecting is a problem for you – get an integrity partner or coach to hold you to your commitment to your career — one that can help keep you on track.
Secondly, I’d say have good tools and processes in place.  You guys sure make that easy for agents. Marketing is a vital component for agents.  It’s a whole lot easier to pick up that phone or knock on that door when you’ve got a marketing plan in place to “touch” those prospects on a consistent basis.  It’s often the difference between a warm call and a frigid one.  So thanks for what you guys do for agents all over North America. I know it makes a difference.
Q:  Awesome.  In your one-on-one coaching what do you think is the number one reason agents hire a coach? 
A:  First, as we just spoke of – they want or need that accountability.  That’s the first kind of coaching.  An accountability partnership.  Someone that can hold them to the things they need to do to realize the goals they’ve set.  Someone who will help them crunch the numbers to know exactly at any given time where they are in relationship to those numbers.  They also are looking for answers and strategies to be more skillful, more purpose-driven, and help them craft and keep the mindsets that will help them stay on track.  The second kind of coaching is what I like to call entrepreneurial. In other words, they just want someone they can bounce ideas off of, turn to with questions or problems – almost like a sounding board.  For example, I have a broker who I’ve worked with for two years who has both years doubled the production in his office.  He appreciates the ability to pick up the phone and say “Hey Floyd….” and strategize about the next idea or means to take his team to the next level.
Q:  Thanks so much Floyd for your time.  I understand you recently launched a new site where agents can learn more about your coaching, can you share that?
A:  Sure. One-on-one coaching is one of the most gratifying parts of what I do.  I carefully limit the number of coaching partners that I take on so that I can commit the time necessary to helping those individuals truly build their careers in the ways that make sense for them.  In my coaching partnerships we both have the same goal – theirs.  I am currently taking on just six new coaching members. If that’s something one of your readers are interested in have them head over to my site www.floydwickmanlive.com and contact me today. Before we ever get started, we’ll get on the phone and spend 45 minutes to an hour just discussing what is important to them, what they want from coaching and whether we are a good fit. If that sounds like something you’d like to do, let’s talk!  Thanks Julie.

No comments:

Post a Comment